Digital Transition 2020
On Friday November 6, 2020, the two digital terrestrial television network operators of Greece, ERT and Digea, start the second digital transition as mandated by law (1).
The 2nd Digital Transition took place following the relevant European directive (2), moving all television broadcasts, public and commercial, to their final internationally allocated frequencies, clearing spectrum for the development of 5G applications in the process.
Thus, the Greek Administration modified the existing Frequency Plan, defining the order of transition for each region as well as the new assigned frequencies for the digital terrestrial television.
The digital transition to the newly assigned frequencies started from the islands of Northeastern Aegean and was progressively completed across the country in a period of approximately 11 months.
Along with the 2nd Digital Transition, High Definition coverage of the commercial TV channels was extended in all areas required by the Frequency Plan, accessible to all viewers who have a TV or decoder compatible with HD technology.
The digital transition begins on schedule and in coordination between Digea (commercial television stations) and ERT (state television stations).
Viotia, Corinth, Fthiotida, Fokida, parts of Achaia and Northern Evia
Attica, Southern Evia, Argolida and part of Arcadia Prefecture
Evrytania, Thesprotia, Ioannina, Corfu, Larissa, Trikala and part of Karditsa Prefecture
Aitoloakarnania, Arta, Achaia, Ilia, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Lefkada and Preveza
Arcadia, Kythera, Laconia and part of Argolida Prefecture
Prefecture of Messenia
Grevena, Kastoria, Kozani, Florina
Imathia, Thessaloniki, Kilkis, Pella, Pieria, Chalkidiki
Drama, Thasos, Kavala, Xanthi, Serres, part of Rodopi
Magnesia, Skyros, Sporades, parts of N.Evia, Karditsa and Larissa
Alexandroupoli, Didymoticho, Orestiada, Soufli, part of Komotini
Cyclades and Kastellorizo
Dodecanese – with the exception of Kastellorizo – Ikaria, Samos
Northeast Aegean Islands - Lesvos, Lemnos, Chios, Psara
(1) JMD 716-003/30-04-2014, JMD 18/2020, G.G Β’ 1752, 7/5/2020, Decision EETT 951/01/2020, G.G. Β’ 3725, 7/9/2020, JMD 22176, G.G. Β’ 3011, 8/7/2021, JMD 36/2021, 30/09/2021, Decision EETT 1019/01 G.G. Β΄148, 20/01/2022
(2) Decision 2017/899 of the European Parliament
(3) The transition in Kastellorizo took place on 10/12/2020 due to adverse weather conditions.
(4) According to State decision, on Friday 16/7/2021, ERT and Digea, proceeded in the change of frequencies for the Nationwide TV Stations at the Regional Unit of Arcadia, in order to address interference phenomena. The impacted Transmitters Sites were the following: Asea, Doliana, Levidi. JMD 22176, G.G. Β’ 3011, 8/7/2021
(5) JMD 36/202130/09/2021, Decision EETT 1019/01 G.G. Β΄148, 20/01/2022